Note: Facebook currently does not support 3D posts anymore, but Facebook 3D photos are still supported.
Facebook recently rolled up another cool feature - Facebook 3D photos. The feature should be available for anyone by the end of 2018. Portrait Mode is currently supported by the Camera app on iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.
How to make a 3D photo
- Start creating a new post on Facebook. Works on iPhones only.
- Tap the icon with three dots to see all the post options.
- Tap "3D photo" to open your iPhone's "Portrait" folder.
- Choose the photo you'd like to share and preview it in 3D.
- Add a caption and hit Share to share it on Facebook in News Feed and VR.
What's the difference between Facebook 3D posts and Facebook 3D photos?
While a Facebook 3D photo is automatically generated from your portrait photo, where the AI simulates depth, a Facebook 3D post offers a full 360 view experience - where you can rotate and interact with the photo in your News Feed.
The Facebook 3D posts feature was released in February this year, and all you need to make it happen is a GLB file that can be uploaded from your computer and posted as easily as a photo.
This is a big opportunity for brands, marketers and designers to attract eyeballs in the News Feed.
Facebook 3D posts might sound like a slightly more complex feature that requires 3D skills, however, that’s hardly the case. You can easily put your 2D photos into a 3D space and present it as a 3D gallery to your friends and fans. A big plus is that this feature is available for anyone, not just iPhone owners.
How to create a Facebook 3D post with photos
- Open Vectary - the free online 3D design tool.
- Drag and drop your photos onto the 3D scene. You can use JPG or PNG.
- Rearrange the orientation of your images on the scene with the gizmo - use the arrows to move, the cubes to change size and the half circles to rotate them.
- Click "Export" in the right panel and Export as GLB.
- Start creating a new post on Facebook.
- Drag and drop your GLB file to the new post area.
- Add a caption, select a background and publish your 3D post on Facebook.
PRO tip: How to create cutout scenes without reflections and PNG glitch
Here's a template you can use to help you get started:
If you want to preview your gallery with a colorful background, turn on the object Backdrop from the Object list menu. It is important that you hide or delete this Object when your final design is ready. This way you'll make sure your photo gallery is floating in the space of Facebook News Feed with a transparent background.
Tip: If Facebook declines your file, it's probably because of its file size. Try to keep the file size under 3MB. You can easily do that by using the dropdown menu when exporting your project.
New UX trend: Facebook 3D post mockups for apps
Create a Facebook 3D post with Vectary’s free mockups and wow your app fans. In Vectary, you're able to not only create 3D objects, but also bring 2D images to a 3D space. This means adding your app designs to 3D devices has never been easier.
3D Logo Maker - Online and free design tool
Create a custom 3D logo with VECTARY’s free 3D logo maker. Convert your 2D logo to 3D easily or choose from hundreds of 3D fonts.
How to create awesome Facebook 3D posts
VECTARY is the online and free glTF native app to enable people to create 3D models for Facebook 3D posts.